Monday, June 29, 2015

School of The Remote Influencer - SOTRI and Independent Scholars.


I don't believe in labelling things per se. I have found that SOTRI is many things. It is not bound by dogma and it is evolving over the course of time. It is not afraid of, and it welcomes change and growth. 

I developed my Remote Influencing (RI) system through a process of independent research and self directed learning. In fact, this work - ( I call my independent research, learning and training, work ), is ongoing. I am adding to the RI body of knowledge on a continuous basis. I would say that I am an independent scholar and an independent researcher. Like universities, I am doing my scholarly work through SOTRI.

What is an Independent Scholar?

An independent scholar is anyone who conducts scholarly research outside universities and traditional academia. 

Source: Wikepedia

A person who works outside traditional academia in the pursuit of knowledge and truth.

Source: yourdictionary.com

Someone who learns is a scholar, though the word also means someone with a lot of knowledge
in one subject.

A learner who is enrolled in an educational institution.

Source: vocabulary.com

Here is some great information on Independent Scholars.


"How are we supposed to evaluate whether someone's independent/'off the grid' contributions are worthwhile?" This is pretty simple: YOU READ THE WORK! If you are evaluating someone in the context of reviewing a manuscript, or a grant proposal, or on a hiring committee, you read their work and decide if it is good. If you don't have the skills or knowledge or time to do this, you have no business evaluating them. If you are simply going to say, "Well, this person got tenure at such-and-such University, I guess they must be good," you're not doing your job.

Many independent scholars have consciously made the choice to have a smaller paycheck, and less job security, because the greater independence and flexibility is worth it to them. These people are perfectly aware of the consequences of their choices, and are willing to take responsibility for them.


The idea that you can't do scholarship if you're not at a University is like saying you can't practice law if you're not in a skyscraper in Manhattan. Now, the path for how to pursue a career in independent scholarship is not as clearly laid out as the paths that lead to becoming a public defender, or starting your own law firm. This is why I believe that "support groups" are valuable, so that people who are interested in developing new models for scholarship can discover and share what works.

Source: ronin institute

I have to agree with ronin institute. The path to pursuing independent scholarship is not an easy task to initiate. I have found that I learned how to pursue my scholarship through trial and error and through learning from mistakes. I would say that it's a personal mission for every independent scholar. It's a path well worth pursuing. Society can benefit from the work of independent scholars. This is part of what motivates me with this work. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment